Saturday, June 12, 2010

Making the temperature probe

I'm making the temperature probe to go in the main body of the freezer out of
  • 4 feet of cat 5 cable
  • 1 LM-34 temp sensor
  • 1 3 inch length of 3/8 inch copper tube
  • Electrical tape
  • JB Weld
I started by unjacketing the cat 5 and untwisting one pair (orange). I then retwisted the solid orange onto the blue - blue/white pair.

Next I soldered the wires to the legs of the LM-34 and TESTED it. I've built stuff like this in the past and not tested it before I commited to making it a permanent installation. Bad idea.


Then I wrapped the legs in electrical tape and dry fitted it in the tube


Next I mixed up some JB weld and slathered it over the sensor and pulled it back into the tube. I then scooped more JB weld into the end of the tube, taped both ends and hung it up to set overnight. I'll fill the tube completely in the morning with thinned JB weld and then let it rest 24 hours before I'll deem it "ready."

No comments:

Post a Comment